|Heavyweight (Per 1/20)|
|6.||Mirko Cro Cop
|Light HW (per 1/20)|
|Middleweight (per 1/20)|
|Welterweight (per 1/20)|
|4.||Marc de Bonte|
|70kg (Per 1/20)|
|2.||Robin van Roosmalen|
|65kg (per 1/20)|
Look, I know that only Americans call it Soccer and that everywhere else in the world it is Football. I get it. The...Read more
In the night’s main event, undefeated Masato Otake improved to 9-0, capturing the J-Network Welterweight title from former champion Atsushi Sasatani by unanimous decision on scores of 50-47(x3). Sasatani won the title against Tomo Kiire in October of last year and this was his first defense. Otake earned the right to fight for the title by defeating former K-1 Koshien fighter Kohei Nishikawa in August. Otake should be an interesting fighter to watch going forward as he has faced little resistance on his path to the title. I would liken him, as a prospect, to Takafumi Morita as he captured a major promotional title within 11 fights and they have a common opponent in Nishikawa. However, Morita took a big step up in his following three fights as well as knocking out Nishikawa in the first round while Otake took him to a decision. Otake has a few options going forward as he could defend his title against #1 ranked Tomo Kiire or he could set his sights on the WPMF or WBC Japan titles.
In a Super Bantamweight title unification bout, reigning champion Hiroaki Mizuhara defeated interim champ Hidemaru by split decision on scores of 49-47, 48-50 and 50-48. Mizuhara was a part of the Krush 55kg tournament and made it to the semifinals, losing to Ryuya Kusakabe by decision and this win is his first successful defense. Hidemaru won the interim title back in June by unanimous decision. Next could be a rematch between the two, but with a relatively strong weight class, Mizuhara could find himself fighting WPMF Japan Bantamweight champ Ichinohe Sota while a good matchup for Hidemaru would be against Takayuki Umehara in a fight that would have J-Network and WPMF Japan implications.
Finally, in a matchup of Krush regulars, Junpei Aotsu defeated DYNAMITE Yuta by unanimous extension round decision on scores of 10-9(x3) after a majority draw with scores of 29-28 and 29-29(x2). In the past 2 and a half years, Aotsu has fought 17 times, going 9-8-1 against a who’s who of Japanese Lightweights the likes of Masahiro Yamamoto, Fire Harada, Yuta Kubo, Masaaki Noiri, TaCa, Arita Tsukahara and TURBΦ. Aotsu is currently on a 2-fight win streak. DYNAMITE Yuta scored a big upset in the quarterfinals of the Krush 63kg tournament with a first round knockout of former K-1 63kg posterboy Daisuke Uematsu, but lost to Koya Urabe in the semifinals.Add a comment
As you may or may not know, this Saturday, Fight Code held an event in conjunction with TK2, featuring a one night, eight man tournament on the TK2 portion of the card. Fight Code only showed their own Fight Code portion of the card on their stream, so we had no opportunity to watch the TK2 portion of the card.
Yohan Lidon and Leroy Kaestner were scheduled for the tournament but it seems both of them pulled out. I'd assume Lidon pulled out due to his MPL fight next month in the Netherlands and he has a fight in France against Gregory Choplin a month after that. As for Kaestner, rumors are swirling that he's actually retired from kickboxing altogether. Nothing is one hundred percent certain though about his future though. Lidon was supposed to fight Ait Said and Kaestner was supposed to fight Ismael Uzuner, both in the quarter finals.
Chris van Venrooij went on to win the tournament. The tournament is a nice feather in his cap, as he's come up short against most of the higher up fighters he's faced. Every fight on the TK2 portion went to decision. Check out the full results below:
Fabrice Aurieng def. German Talbot by decision.
Chris van Venrooij def. Ait Said by decision.
Wallid Haddad def. Niclas Larsen by decision.
Ait Said def. Enriko Gogokhia by decision.
Chris van Venrooij def. Yohan Beausejour by decision.
Philippe Salmon def. Willy Borrel by decision.
Enriko Gogokhia def. Ismael Uzuner by decision.
Ait Said def. Yazid Boussaha by decision.
Chris van Venrooij def. Farhat Ahmedjanov by decision.
Johan Beausejour def. Mohammed Medhar by decision.
Add a comment
Shootboxing and Shooto have announced the second cross-promotional matchup to take place at Shoot the Shooto 2011 on November 6th and it is #1 ranked Super Featherweight Hiroaki Suzuki taking on MMA fighter "Wicky" Akiyo Nishiura. "Wicky" trains with fellow Shoot the Shooto participant "Lion" Takeshi Inoue and, like his training partner, is primarily a striker. Also like his training partner, he fought most of his career in Shooto until being called up by DREAM, ultimately settling in there. Nishiura has struggled a bit in MMA lately despite training under Matt Hume, losing his last two fights to Mitsuhiro Ishida and Caol Uno despite his improving take down defense. "Wicky" has some kickboxing experience, though, as he fought 2010 K-1 -63kg champion Tetsuya Yamato to a draw at Dynamite!!! 2010. Suzuki is currently on a 3-fight win streak and has won 6 of his last 7, with 3 of those wins coming over MMA fighters Mitsuhiro Ishida, Tenkei Oda and Shigeki Osawa. It is an interesting matchup considering "Wicky" fought Yamato to a draw and his strange style could present problems for Suzuki. I expect this fight to be close.
Already announced for the card is a matchup between MMA fighter "Lion" Takeshi Inoue and SB rep Hiroki Shishido. If Shooto continues to pick fighters from Shooting Gym Yokohama, an entertaining matchup could be made between Shooto title challenger Junji "Sarumaru" Ito and former Shootboxing champion Ryuya Kusakabe. Still expected to compete from the Shootboxing side are Andy Souwer, Bovy Sor Udomson and Toby Imada.Add a comment
Simon Rutz promised a statement on the K-1 situation today, and he has delivered. There is so much in here that has been floating around for quite a while now that I don't know where to begin. LiverKick.com had heard from multiple sources that Bas Boon and a group of American investors had planned to purchase K-1. This initially started a few months ago when Fight Game, a company owned in part by Bas Boon and Frederico Lapenda had acquired certain rights to footage and began removing K-1 fights from YouTube under infringement to "Fight Game." This was the first clue that something was going down and backed up some of the rumors of K-1 being purchased.
Then nothing happened. K-1 went nowhere. There was talk of Barbizon, a real estate company acquiring certain rights to K-1's brands, and that this was possibly a part of the sale. Then there was talks of another company having possibly purchased K-1, while the talks of Golden Glory acquiring K-1 refused to die down. All of a sudden there were people who were dead set that one group had purchased K-1 or that the other group had, yet nothing was happening, there was no movement and FEG finally decided to run events under the K-1 name themselves. It turns out that K-1's founder Kazuyoshi Ishii had not signed away on his baby, his creation that had helped shape the world of kickboxing, that he was what was holding back the sale, claims Rutz.
With all of this in mind, according to Rutz there were three companies in contention and none of them have the required signature to take over the company. Even if they were to acquire K-1 today, there is not enough time to organize a K-1 event on October 29th. While nothing has happene yet, Rutz still believes that one of the potential investors will take control over K-1 by 2012 and organize K-1 events. Rutz has also promised It's Showtime will support whomever takes over the organization and believes that a united front of It's Showtime and Golden Glory participating in K-1 is good for the sport. Read after the break for the entire statement from Mr. Rutz. [source]
The latest in the last minute saga of the K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16 is that the show is probably cancelled. News has been leaking out over the past few days of possible last minute deals, possible shake ups internally and the World Grand Prix Final 16 being cancelled. It's Showtime was providing a wealth of talent under the idea that FEG would pay It's Showtime the money they owe them as well as the fighters' salary before the event could happen. Simon Rutz extended the deadline numerous times and the money still never made its way to them.
On Monday in Amsterdam Rutz is set to make a statement about the K-1 situation but many are expecting it to be "bad" news. It's Showtime has been focused this week on their January 28th event in The Netherlands which will feature the retirement of Badr Hari. Tickets went on sale this weekend and according to It's Showtime moving quickly, with the VIP tables sold out and a good portion of the seating in the arena sold out as well. There are murmurs of It's Showtime assembling a tournament of their own at some point, as waiting for K-1 to put together the World Grand Prix was their only hindrance.
According to sources in the It's Showtime circle there will not be a World Grand Prix Final 16 event, it will not be postponed to a later date.
There is talk of a December 10th date in China still happening, possibly being the Final 8 of the World Grand Prix, or simply a collection of K-1 Super Fights.
It needs to be remembered that all of this talk of the event being cancelled involves It's Showtime pulling out from the World Grand Prix. If K-1 has no back-up plan the chances of there being a World Grand Prix are indeed slim to none, but there is still a chance that other parties they've been talking with over the last week could come to the rescue for them, but it is a longshot at best it appears.
UPDATE: Michael Schiavello reports on his Twitter that he too has heard that the event is off.Add a comment