Friday Night Fights bid February farewell last night with a card that featured a highly anticipated match between two well known professional female fighters. The main event of the evening, Ashley Nichols versus Angela Hill, highlighted the distinctive fighting styles of both women to full effect, and showed why both have struck such a strong chord within the North American Muay Thai community. For the first three rounds, Hill demonstrated the aggressive punching and clinching style that inspired her fight name of “Overkill.” The beautiful technique of Nichols was more visible in rounds four and five, when she used front push kicks and long knees to keep Hill from closing in as much, but it was too little too late. Hill won a split decision victory over Nichols, maintaining her undefeated record and winning the WKA North American Flyweight title.
The other pro fight of the evening featured another Canadian from MAS Academy, Robert “White Dragon” Thomas, versus Tarek Rached, the Lebanese Tiger. The powerful Rached bullied his much taller opponent until Thomas gained control of the distance in round two and three. Rached was rocked by a knee and saved by the bell in round two, but not before getting an 8-count. Another crisp right knee from Thomas ended the fight 59 seconds into round three, giving him the win by TKO.
You can watch the whole show here:
- Video: Andy Souwer vs Hideya Tanaka
- VIDEO: Enriko Kehl vs. Erkan Varol and Zabit Samedov vs. Merit Arkan
- Bai Ling attending SuperKombat World Grand Prix I next Sat. evening (Mar. 7) in Ploiești, Romania
- Interview with the Glory heavyweight challenger and the SuperKombat's franchise, Benny Adegbuyi
- Dutch Kickboxer Brian Douwes Wins Bloodsport-esque Tournament