UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones has been under some level of scrutiny at every point of his UFC career, the latest comes with his "contract negotiations" with the UFC. After UFC 173 Dana White stated that the UFC was currently negotiating with Jon Jones, but now posted a news story on UFC.com claiming that they have Jon Jones under contract for five more fights still and are trying to get him to sign a bout agreement. Okay.
What exactly is going on? Dana White claims that Jon Jones is refusing to fight Alexander Gustafsson and would rather fight Daniel Cormier now. I'm not so sure that is a bad problem to have, although the rematch with Gustafsson is one that many fans are clamoring to see still. I'm not sure what to make of it, but Jon Jones does have the right to negotiate a new contract with the UFC for more money without being razzed for "ducking" a fight.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His first novel, the Godslayer, is available now.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Tyrone Spong Confirms That His GLORY Contract Has Expired
- Former K-1 Champion Mark Hunt Gets a Crack at UFC Gold
- Joe Schilling Reveals That GLORY Let His Contract Expire
- Joe Schilling Entering the Bellator Ring Against Melvin Manhoef, the Beginning of a New Relationship
- UFC Vet Miguel Torres Added to Legacy Kickboxing Show in January