UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones has been under some level of scrutiny at every point of his UFC career, the latest comes with his "contract negotiations" with the UFC. After UFC 173 Dana White stated that the UFC was currently negotiating with Jon Jones, but now posted a news story on UFC.com claiming that they have Jon Jones under contract for five more fights still and are trying to get him to sign a bout agreement. Okay.
What exactly is going on? Dana White claims that Jon Jones is refusing to fight Alexander Gustafsson and would rather fight Daniel Cormier now. I'm not so sure that is a bad problem to have, although the rematch with Gustafsson is one that many fans are clamoring to see still. I'm not sure what to make of it, but Jon Jones does have the right to negotiate a new contract with the UFC for more money without being razzed for "ducking" a fight.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His second novel, Terminus Cycle, is available now via Kindle and Paperback.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Creativity in Kickboxing; or, K-1's Forgotten Formula to Building the Future
- Bellator Announces Dynamite!! September 19th in San Jose with GLORY Participation
- Joe Schilling's Next Fight in Bellator on June 26th
- Tyrone Spong Considers Himself the Bo Jackson of Combat Sports, But GLORY Can't Afford Him
- Bellator Signs Former K-1 and GLORY Star Ewerton Teixeira