The rematch between Alexander Gustafsson and Jon Jones for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship is supposed to be next up for Jon Jones, but right now Jon Jones is in the middle of contract negotiations with the UFC. Those contract negotiations have led to a bit of a rift between the UFC and Jon Jones at the moment, with Dana White acting frustrated with Jones. Now, let's be honest here, Jon Jones is one of the UFC's real big stars at this point and their Light Heavyweight Champion, the guy should be allowed to negotiate his contract without getting run down in the press.
Daniel Cormier has decided to toss his hat into the ring already, though. He is ready to go and would be willing to fight Alexander Gustafsson for the Interim Light Heavyweight Championship. Sounds crazy, right? Well, knowing the UFC, it might not be. If the UFC wanted to apply pressure to Jones all they'd have to do is imply that he could be replaced and have an Interim title fight.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His second novel, Terminus Cycle, is available now via Kindle and Paperback.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Paul "Semtex" Daley vs. Bellator's Fernando Gonzalez Added to Dynamite Kickboxing Card
- Bellator Signs Keri Anne Melendez to Fight Kickboxing and MMA for Bellator Starting at Dynamite
- Creativity in Kickboxing; or, K-1's Forgotten Formula to Building the Future
- Bellator Announces Dynamite!! September 19th in San Jose with GLORY Participation
- Joe Schilling's Next Fight in Bellator on June 26th