Chael Sonnen, who was expected to fight at UFC 175 against Wanderlei Silva, then Vitor Belfort, has announced his retirement today. The retirement comes hot off of the heels of him failing a random drug test administered by the NSAC last month. The failed drug test was due to his former usage of TRT, which he claimed he was taking the banned substances to cycle off of TRT.
This retirement comes as little shock with Sonnen at 37 years of age who has contended for both the UFC Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Championship in the past, who now mainly works behind a desk for Fox Sports 1 as an analyst. Chael Sonnen was one of the few fighters in MMA who could draw fan interest and possibly PPV buys, although the latter was still untested.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His first novel, the Godslayer, is available now.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Hesdy Gerges Sentenced to Five Years in Prison on 2011 Cocaine Smuggling Case
- Jo Nattawut Filling in for Fabio Pinca at Lion Fight 19 Tonight
- The Ratings are in For GLORY 18
- Check Out the Video From Yokkao 11's Fight of the Night: Brad Stanton vs Crice Boussoukou
- SuperKombat World Grand Prix Final in Monza Card for Nov. 22nd