If you were to stop and try to think of who two of the biggest UFC stars would be, I'd like to think that at some point your brain would scan to -- or at least consider -- Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz. That is why a fight between the two of them would be such a big deal. Anderson Silva is still primed for a big return after having his shin shattered at UFC 168 against Chris Weidman and his manager tossed out the name Nick Diaz as a possible opponent.
But would Diaz take the bait? Kind of. According to Ariel Helwani from UFC Tonight last night, Nick Diaz would love to fight Anderson Silva, but he'd want the UFC to pay him accordingly for such a huge fight. Nick Diaz has been "retired" of late, in part due to how things went down against Georges St-Pierre, but also because he wants more money from the UFC and Dana White doesn't seem willing to whip out that fat Zuffa checkbook for him just yet.
For a fight like this, though? I feel like the UFC would be silly not to pay both of these guys a lot of money and hype this as one of the biggest super fights in company history.
Dave Walsh has been covering MMA and Kickboxing since 2007 before changing his focus solely to Kickboxing in 2009, launching what was the only English-language site dedicated to giving Kickboxing similar coverage to what MMA receives. He was the co-founder of HeadKickLegend and now LiverKick. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he works as a writer of all trades.
His first novel, the Godslayer, is available now.
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Yokkao Breaks New Ground with 4K Ultra HD Saenchai Promo
- VIDEO: Former NBA Player Darko Milicic Loses Kickboxing Debut
- Rico Verhoeven, Murthel Groenhart and Andy Souwer on KhunLun Fight 15
- Video: Josh Jauncey vs. Jae-Gil Noh From GLORY 18
- WGP #24 on December 20th Featuring Alex Pereira and Felipe Micheletti
- Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke Wants to Become First Lumpinee Champion to Win an MMA Title
- Roufusport Under Fire In Light of Munson Death From March
- Hunt falls in title bout, Schilling flattens Manhoef
- Dutch Legend Hans Nijman Murdered in Drive-By Shooting
- Michael Page Talking About Freestyle Kickboxing in MMA is Fascinating